Side event “Is Global Sentsov Act possible? Ukrainian strategy in order to make life of human rights abusers more complicated”
|Where:||at the margins of 12th Kyiv Security Forum, http://ksf.openukraine.org/en|
|Date and time:||11 April 2019, 5.30 – 7.00 p.m.|
|Location:||Fairmont Grand Hotel Kyiv, Kyiv-2 hall, Naberezhno-Khreshchatytska St. 1|
· William (Bill) BROWDER – Initiator of The Sergei Magnitsky Rule of Law Accountability Act of 2012, CEO & Founder, Hermitage Capital Management, via Skype.
· Dr. Clara PORTELA – Professor at University of Valencia and sanctions expert, via Skype.
· Yevhen PIKALOV – Director of the Department for International Legal Cooperation, Prosecutor General’s Office of Ukraine .
· Hanna HOPKO – People’s Deputy of Ukraine, Chairperson of the Verkhovna Rada Committee on Foreign Affairs.
· Daria SVYRYDOVA – Lawyer of Ukrainian Helsinki Human Rights Union, Expert of USAID Human Rights in Action Program.
Maria TOMAK – Coordinator of Media Initiative for Human Rights, Expert of USAID Human Rights in Action Program.
|Event’s focus:||Imposition of personal sanctions has become one of the key ways of reaction of the Western countries to the Russia’s aggression against Ukraine, as well as hostile activities towards the EU and the US.
Hence, together with state and non-state actors and experts there will be discussed the following topics:
· Is the EU ready for the adoption of EU Global Human Rights Act?
· Which criteria, legal bases and by whom have to be shaped in order to propose the common EU sanctions policy as a reaction to human rights abuses?
· What could and should be the role of Ukraine in this process?
· What kind of strategy Ukraine should follow in terms of advocating the targeted sanctions against human rights abusers in occupied Crimea?
· Could Ukraine use not just political, but also criminal tools like Interpol in order to prosecute offenders and why it hasn’t been done so far?
· And when Ukrainian version of Magnitsky Act will finally be adopted by the parliament?
|Organizers:||Ukrainian Helsinki Human Rights Union, Media Initiative for Human Rights|
|NB:||The event is open for participants of Kyiv Security Forum-2019|
If you find an error on our site, please select the incorrect text and press ctrl-enter.